Recent Posts

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

planting time down at the farm

Tom and I have decided on a name for our urban homestead-in-progress.  It shall be called... Farmaway Downs, an homage to one of our favorite movies, Australia.

This past weekend we ran around town buying seeds, seedlings, cow poop, fish juice, and various other necessities for our garden.  It was exhausting, but our garden is finally in.  We think it's good luck that we planted on the spring equinox. 

  close-up of a Roma tomato

Here's a list of what we planted in each of our four 4' x 10' raised beds:

Box 1
Vine Tomatoes (Early Girls, Husky Cherry Reds, and a Sweet 100)
Bush Tomatoes (Romas)
Sweet Basil
Marigolds

Box 2
Peppers (Reds, Yellows, Gypsy, and Yummy)
Cucumbers (Burpless Hybrids and Pickling)
Green Beans (Bush Blue Lake)
Lettuce (Gourmet Mesclun Mix)

Box 3
Swiss Chard (Bright Lights)
Beets (Early Wonder)
Lettuce (Romaine)
Spinach (Double Choice Hybrid)
Carrots (Scarlet Nantes)
Radishes (Cherry Belle)

Box 4
Zucchini & Crookneck Squash

The four blackberry bushes we were gifted went in along our western wall (fingers crossed!), and we also planted some rosemary, spearmint, gardenias (my favorite flower), and daisies.  I have plans for chamomile, thyme, parsley, cosmos, alyssum, and various other herbs and flowers.  We also have four big strawberry plants waiting for a home.  Whew!  What makes this more impressive is that we took turns wearing our "fat cheeky bull" (Dolly) on our backs the whole time.  (Watch Australia if you don't get it!)     

Except for the Swiss Chard, Box 3 is entirely planted with seed.  Tom and I have little faith, but we shall see.  It seems impossible that tiny little seeds sitting in dirt can become vegetables.

Stay tuned for updates from Farmaway Downs!  If all goes well, we'll be giving vegetables away to all of you. 

3 comments:

  1. Aloha! I enjoyed reading your blog. I found it through the website localharvest.org My name is Jason and my wife's name is Laure'n. We are perpetual travellers and have been in Arizona for a while with my mom. We also have a baby, born just over a month before yours, and we are also very interested in eating organic and growing food. I enjoyed that you said you let Dolly eat some of the dirt, I feel the same way!! So I just wanted to thank you for sharing your writing. Perhaps it's possible our babies and our families could enjoy each other's company. I linked my facebook page to my name above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can also email me at kauai.karakia at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog hasn't been updated in awhile, but life happens. If you are still growing organic food, please email me back at notwithoutGod@hotmail.com. My family just moved here to Az, and would be interested in buying some local produce.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete