Recent Posts

Sunday, March 14, 2010

a delicious date... by ourselves!


my favorite dessert:
butterscotch pudding with whipped cream and nutmeg

Today, Tom and I spent 6 hours gorging ourselves on wine, lamb chops and spaetzle, butterscotch pudding, hazelnuts dusted with real gold, beef wellington with foie gras and black truffle, wine, wine, and lots of other gourmet fare at the Devour Phoenix Culinary Festival.  And... it was just the TWO of us.  Dolly stayed at home hanging out with her Aunt Andrea and Uncle Sal.  It was only the second time we've gone somewhere without her, and we definitely haven't been away from her for such a large chunk of time.  Much preparation was needed...

First of all, I spent the preceding week pumping breastmilk--not my favorite thing to do.  I pumped and I pumped and only managed to get 21 precious ounces.  Would that be enough?  Would she starve?  Umm, no, because how much did she actually drink?  Maybe ONE ounce.  At least I've got a tiny stash of the liquid gold now!

I also had to prepare copious instructions.  I trust Andrea completely, but I'm a listmaker, and it had to be done.  Click on the image below if you want to see how obsessive I can be...


I admit I called home a few times to bother Andrea for updates, but Dolly actually did very well without us.  She even took two short naps which I wasn't expecting her to do.

She was big smiles when we walked in the front door, and she was even happier when I presented her with her very own lamb chop.  I stashed one in my purse as we were leaving the festival!  I knew she'd love it, and I could never cook lamb chops so perfectly for her.  



Don't you love her Incredible Hulk t-shirt!?

3 comments:

  1. omg~ Serene~ the list is just crazy!! And Dahlia is so cute in the video! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does it mean when I finally get to babysit, you will call me every 5 min to check on Dolly?

    ReplyDelete